Just about time for game day isn’t it folks? I’ll be the first to admit I’m far from a sports fan in any capacity. Well I’ll never turn down a chance to go to a live game of anything, but aside from that I hardly take the time to watch anything. However, my family has always had a tradition as far as I can remember where we have a get-together with friends to watch the super bowl. The game was always a big deal but the food, oh how I looked forward to the food. A beautiful display of a table crammed with about everything you could ever want. Cheese dip, veggie trays and a separate table with three or four desserts were the staple. Everything else was up for grabs.
But the cheese dip. Oh my the cheese dip was phenomenal. Like, I had no idea cheese dip could be elevated to this level of amazing good. It had cheese (duh), chilies, and ground beef among some other stuff that I am not totally aware of. Yes, I totally need to see if my mom has that recipe and lock it down because it was so good.
On another (but related) note, it was around this time about 10 years or so ago I was exposed to the amazing side dish that is the buffalo chicken dip. I think it was actually a classmate that brought it in for a school party. However, I knew instantly that this dish deserved, nay, demanded a spot on that already crammed table on super bowl Sunday. How could you cram so much goodness into one dish? It’s got the cheese, the chicken, the hot sauce. Hopefully you know what I’m talking about! It’s seriously one of the greatest dips ever. Only comparable to the aforementioned cheese dip.
So, maybe you see where I’m going with this…that’s right. I’m going to combine these two dips. Take the best of each as well as the most comparable flavors and make an all encompassing Buffalo chicken Cheesy Queso. It’s got the chilies, the chicken, the seasonings and of course…the cheese! It’s a flavor packed dip (but isn’t over bearing) that I hope earns a spot at your get-together for this Superbowl or any other time of the year!
Leading up to that date I’m planning on having a few more appetizers that will be perfect for the Superbowl or any other get-together so stay tuned! Hope you have a good time whether you are watching or not. I’ll for sure be hanging out around the food table with a few intermissions to check the game. If you try it out, let me know! Thanks for reading! 🙂
Buffalo Cheesy Chicken Queso
A cheesy, chicken dish that takes the best of buffalo chicken dip and queso to make a flavor packed appetizer
- 1 Boneless skinless Chicken Breast (about 8 oz)
- 2 cups milk
- 2T oil ( i used avocado oil)
- 2T flour
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of green chili's (drained)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1T lemon pepper seasonings
- 1/8th tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8th cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp chipolata pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Step 1 Begin my boiling a pot of water and add the lemon pepper seasoning to the water.
- Step 2 Add the chicken breast to the water and boil until it reaches 165 degrees (about 15 minutes). Remove from water and shred. Set aside.
- Step 3 In another pot, add the oil and heat over medium. Add the flour and heat until bubbly, then cook another minute.
- Step 4 Slowly add the milk and then green onion and heat, stirring until simmering and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Step 5 Slowly stir in cheese until fully melted and incorporated.
- Step 6 Lastly, mix chicken, hot sauce, sour cream, chilis and spices until fully incorporated.
- Step 7 Serve hot (and keep warm in crock pot if needed)
- Step 8 Enjoy!